I try not to say “I’m kidding” unless the person is giving me dagger eyes and look like they’re going to throttle me for what I’ve just said. They might not have realized I was joking, and they could be offended. That’s bad. If reassurance that I am joking with them is required, I usually prefer the wink-wink, nudge and/or smile and laugh approach to soften their mad face before I break out the “I’m just kidding” line. But sometimes, “I’m just kidding” comes across like a cover for an oopsie, even if it’s not.
Most of the time, I think people possess great senses of humor and the ability to recognize a joke — so, the phrase ”I’m kidding” is just so…generic, even if it’s sometimes needed in writing. (I think those wink emoticons can sometimes be construed as sarcastic little snarky faces…but I respect it)
As soon as I hear/see the words “I’m kidding” when I completely understood the person to be joking, I feel like my sense of humor is being undermined. I mean, I get it. As someone who finds the most wildly inappropriate humor hilarious — I’m razor-sharp baby, no need to clarify. And, what are you supposed to say to someone who has just said “I’m kidding” to you? I can’t stand the awkward, “Yeah…I know you were…I was kidding with my response to you…did you…get that I was kidding…?” or just let it go, with “Oh, ok…ha. So, did you see the new M. Night Shyamalan movie yet?”
I guess maybe if you have to say “I’m kidding, I’m kidding” after something — it just wasn’t that funny.












No comments:
Post a Comment